This forum is designated to discuss AceBackup. Please note that questions in this forum are not answered by our support team.

Volume Shadow Copy

Postby coolblues » October 5th, 2010, 9:19 pm

First of all my compliments to AceBit for providing such a great backup tool for free!!!

I've downloaded and installed AceBackup yesterday and had a first "test backup" running last night. Everything worked just fine including the FTP backup and email notification.

While going through the report from the email notification, I noticed that there were a few files that failed to be backed up because they were in use/locked by another program.

According to my knowledge, a used/locked file can be copied anyway if "Volume Shadow Copy" is being used. I've worked with other BU programs where simply a checkbox needed to be marked during the process of creating a BU job to activate/use Shadow Copy.

Maybe I'm blind (..from sitting too long in front of this computer...) but so far I have not seen/found any possibility to activate/use Shadow copy in AceBackup.
Is this really not supported by the current version of AceBackup or am I really blind?

If it is not supported, are there any plans to boost this neat tool from almost perfect to perfect by adding this functionality?

Thanks'n Greets
coolblues
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Volume Shadow Copy

Postby sinekt » October 26th, 2010, 2:21 pm

I am very interested in this too, as I need a free automatic backup solution that can do the backup when people work on their computers.
sinekt
Rookie
Rookie

Postby nexusphreez » August 9th, 2011, 1:20 am

I agree, I just found this program and I love it. But some of the things that need to be backed up are locked due to being opened by users. This functionality actually is not too difficult to implement. It would be great to see this put in the next version. thanks.
nexusphreez
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Support (AceBIT) » August 11th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Hello,

The current version of AceBackup partially solves this problem without using "Volume Shadow Copy" services. When the process of copying of the source file fails with the error "file is used by another process", AceBackup tries to read file data directly from the HDD using low level access. In most of cases this allows to backup files locked in exclusive access like MS Outlook .pst files.

Best regards
AceBIT - Support -
Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Return to AceBackup