This forum is designated to discuss AceBackup. Please note that questions in this forum are not answered by our support team.

Backup skips files (Code: 3)

Postby jkmassey » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:29 pm

I think this may be a file name length issue. My backups skip files with names like:

"xxxxxxxx Vendor Memo CA- All Inclusive - updated 7-28-08.doc"

and reports results "The system cannot find path specified (Code: 3)". However, in the same directory, the files:

"Wxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxx Memo 03202008.doc"
"WFHM BATF Procedures 6-24-2008.pdf"

backed up fine. The full path name is:

"C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Public Documents\Business Documents - xxxxxxxx\Vendor Contacts\xxx\Vendor On-Boarding Into Pack\VENDOR ON-BOARDING INTRO PACK\xxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxx Vendor Memo CA- All Inclusive - updated 7-28-08.doc"

I am running MS-Vista Home Premium 64-bit on a desktop with AMD 5400 (dual core) CPU, 4GB RAM, 600GB C: drive (source), and 1TB J: USB connected drive (Backup destination). This is AceBackup 3 (3.0.0, 3.0.0.0).

What is the problem? Is there a future patch for this?
jkmassey
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Backup skips files (Code: 3)

Postby bojan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:36 pm

Although a little late I too can confirm the issue.
I don't know exactly the limit of the file path, but trimming the name does help :).

Also another issue is that it skips files with names containing characters from different languages (like characters with umlaut and such). At least if you haven't installed that language.

Another issue I'm having just now are filenames without extension. Maybe its just a file extension filter issue, but I just cannot figure it out yet...

About the feature request I couln't find the project on sourceforge as the FAQs are saying. So cannot really tell.
bojan
Rookie
Rookie

Postby alank » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:45 am

Hi,

I am new to AceBackup 3 (latest version) running on XP SP3 operating system.

I have been doing some test backups to see the limitations. I like the AceBackup 3 setup and how it works but found the Code 3 problem and started looking for a solution.

Looking at th posts here it seems like this problem has been evident for some time without a reply from the gurus. :( My investigations show that any file that has a ‘Full Path + Filename’ character length of 172 characters or more will fail to be backed up and will result in a “The system cannot find the path specified (Code: 3)” error. THIS A MAJOR PROBLEM as you cannot rely on an accurate backup. The length of the ‘Full Path + Filename’ should not be less 512 characters but really should not have any restrictions so the problem goes away, never to return.

I hope an answer will come soon as I think this program has the potential to be one of the better free backup programs around and would like to continue to use it. Alan. :P
alank
Rookie
Rookie

Postby alank » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:48 pm

Since my post of 24 Dec 2009 there have been no replies to this thread or any other for that matter. I can only assume that ACEBIT have absolutely no intention of giving any support to the AceBackup program. If they don't show any interest with their free program – where they show you their software programmed skills so you will buy some of their commercial wares - you would have to seriously question the support to any of their programs. I am very disappointed in AceBackup and I am deleting it from my system. My suggestion is <competitor>

:cry: :cry: :cry:
alank
Rookie
Rookie

Postby skybluecodeflier » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Hey all,

It looks like this is not a recent problem- viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1557. It was present in version 2 as well. Why they haven't extended the allowed file length I have no idea.
skybluecodeflier
Rookie
Rookie

Postby skybluecodeflier » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:47 pm

AceBit? Anybody there? Are you working on this, or is it impossible to fix?
skybluecodeflier
Rookie
Rookie

Return to AceBackup