revised home page not uploading

This forum is designated to discuss WISE-FTP.
goldfinch

revised home page not uploading

Post by goldfinch » January 10th, 2008, 2:51 am

I am using 5.5.6 for the first time. When I upload the updated homepage folder "index", the program indicates it is uploading, but when I check it online, it is the old homepage. I tried deleting the old one, then uploading the new one. The old one was still up. So I deleted the old folder without replacing it, I still was able to to go my webpage witht he old homepage. Where is it hiding? Why won't the new one upload. I did not have this problem before using 5.5.6.

Katrin (AceBIT-Team)

Re: revised home page not uploading

Post by Katrin (AceBIT-Team) » January 10th, 2008, 11:44 am

Hello,

maybe this is only a problem with the cache of your browser, which still has the old version of your website stored. Please try to erase the data from the browser cache to see if your revised homepage is then shown correctly.

Best regards

goldfinch

Post by goldfinch » January 10th, 2008, 7:44 pm

OK, I tried that and repeated the process with no success. The old home page continues to open the page even after I've deleted it. Can I be doing the delete wrong? I left click on the folder, delete and it goes away. Is it really gone? I've checked the file I've been uploading again and it does have the new information.

AceBIT
Site Admin

Post by AceBIT » January 11th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Please try this:

- delete your folder with your homepage on your ftp server
- try to access your website

If you still see the "old" website, this means that you configured a wrong start directory for your website on your providers control panel.
Beste Grüße aus Darmstadt! - Best regards from Darmstadt!

AceBIT GmbH, Holzhofallee 15, 64295 Darmstadt, Deutschland - Tel.: +49 61 51 136 50-0, Fax: +49 61 51 136 50-20, E-Mail: info@acebit.de, Web: https://www.acebit.de

goldfinch

Post by goldfinch » January 12th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Almost there. I can get to the reviesd page if I use http://www.homepageaddress.org/index but get the old one when I do not append "index". My mistake was in uploading the file rather than ony the "e" part-I used the upper WISE window and not the bottom one.

So now how do I get rid of that old file? I did try cleaning out my cache, but it didn't work.

goldfinch

Post by goldfinch » January 13th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Another thought. I did try to delete the original index folder. It disappeared from the right hand box and seemed gone. Bad move, I now know. It's there somewhere that i can't find. So I am left with that to correct. Would it be possible to clear the whole page and reload everything, including the index folder as if this were a new page entirely. Would I run into problems with the connection that works so well for me now? Being relatively clueless, I don't want to mess up the connections.