handling of symlinks, symbolic links, softlinks

This forum is designated to discuss WISE-FTP.
davidascher
Expert
Expert

handling of symlinks, symbolic links, softlinks

Post by davidascher » March 27th, 2008, 2:44 am

I am using Wise-FTP 5.5.8 and I am finding that I cannot delete any symlinks on my server. None of the terms 'symbolic', 'soft', 'softlink', or 'symlink' are found when I search through the online help. And the "What's new in Version 4" in the User's Guide lists
• "Symlinks" handling on UNIX servers;

The ftp log shows
< 550 /MikePlayerGuide.pdf: No such file or directory

which makes me wonder about whether this could ever work... since there seems to be no ftp command for removing a link and this is, of course, not a file, but a symbolic link. I had thought that the clever folks at Ace-Bit had worked out something amazing, but it appears that they threw their hands up in frustration... or did they?

Did this capability ever work? did it get broken? Am I missing something in configuration or documentation?

Thanks.

Support (AceBIT)

Re: handling of symlinks, symbolic links, softlinks

Post by Support (AceBIT) » March 27th, 2008, 10:46 am

Hello,

unfortunately in principle, the FTP protocol does not allow deleting or editing symlinks. Wise-FTP can only follow symlinks. In order to edit, create or delete symlinks you need to have normal access to your Linux server via telnet or a kind of administrative panel which your internet hosting provider may support.

Best regards

davidascher
Expert
Expert

Post by davidascher » March 27th, 2008, 2:41 pm

..Thanks... that is what I thought. It would be nice if this tidbit were in the documentation/online help somewhere. I could have saved myself a couple of hours and I would expect that other folks would also save some time and aggravation in the future if there was some mention of symlinks in the docs.
Dave Ascher

Katrin (AceBIT-Team)

Post by Katrin (AceBIT-Team) » March 27th, 2008, 6:39 pm

Hello Dave,

Yes, you are certainly right - thanks for the suggestion.
I will let the people responsible for the documentation know.

Best regards