How do you ftp to ftp - fxp?

This forum is designated to discuss WISE-FTP.
Stez

How do you ftp to ftp - fxp?

Post by Stez » April 21st, 2008, 6:04 pm

Hi,

I need to transfer some large files from one remote ftp server to another remote ftp server. I established a connection to both servers and dragged-and-dropped. But local copies of the files are being created on my PC - meaning by bandwidth usage is going through the roof (which is what I was trying to avoid).

Is there another way to do it?

Many thanks,

Paul

Support (AceBIT)

Re: How do you ftp to ftp - fxp?

Post by Support (AceBIT) » April 22nd, 2008, 1:15 pm

Hello,

only a very small number of FTP servers support the commands for Server to Server transfer. Wise-FTP first tries to use the Server to Server transfer and if it does not work it uses Server 1 -> Local System -> Server 2.

Best regards

Stez

Post by Stez » April 22nd, 2008, 1:23 pm

Thanks a lot for that. Makes sense. At least it's not me missing something with WISE-FTP. Out of interest, what is the server-to-server command?

Kind regards,

Paul

Support (AceBIT)

Post by Support (AceBIT) » April 22nd, 2008, 3:57 pm

Hello,

there is no such a command defined by a common protocol. Every type of FTP servers may have an own set of custom commands. The FTP command FEAT displays a list of supported commands by the server. The FTP command SITE <cmd> executes the custom command <cmd> on that server. For example, the server http://www.raidenftpd.com/en/ supports server-to-server commands, in other cases the documentation of each server may help you.

Best regards

Stez

Post by Stez » April 22nd, 2008, 4:07 pm

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the information and your help.

Regards,

Paul