FTP connection to 1and1 host

This forum is designated to discuss WISE-FTP.
dclsteve

FTP connection to 1and1 host

Post by dclsteve » May 5th, 2008, 2:05 pm

Using WISE 5.0 on a Vista OS to upload website updates hosted by 1and 1.
Previously used WISE 4 on same machine successfully
WISE does not connect to the host domain. 1and1 support have confirmed the connection settings are fine and recommend "try to download another FTP client like Filezilla<http://filezilla-project.org/download.php> and if this connect successfully then there is something wrong with the Wise-FTP application that you have"
I rather like to stick to WISE, so does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Support (AceBIT)

Re: FTP connection to 1and1 host

Post by Support (AceBIT) » May 5th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Hello,

could you please send us the ftp log which you receive when trying to connect to the server? You can do this at Tools -> Save log as text file... or you can copy and paste it from the log window. If you do not want to post it here, please send us the log to support@acebit.com.

Best regards

dclsteve

Post by dclsteve » May 5th, 2008, 2:25 pm

The log file is empty, the text that appears in the FTP log screen area is:-
! <--- [pentax110.co.uk] --->
! Connecting to pentax110.co.uk ... (05/05/2008 13:25:53)
! Unable to connect: pentax110.co.uk! ()

Thanks

Support (AceBIT)

Post by Support (AceBIT) » May 5th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Hello,

did you already check that no firewall or any other security software is blocking so that Wise-FTP has full access to the internet. Maybe you could deactivate your firewall for a short test and try to connect to the server again? Please also update your program using File -> Live Update to make sure that you are having the latest version.

Best regards

dclsteve

Post by dclsteve » May 5th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Deactivated Anti-Virus (Norton Anti-Virus)
Switched off Windows Firewall
Checked latest version (5.5.8)

Same result unfortunately!

Support (AceBIT)

Post by Support (AceBIT) » May 6th, 2008, 9:54 am

Hello,

it seems that anything is preventing Wise-FTP 5 from connecting to the ftp server. Are you able to connect to other ftp server, for example to some public servers like ftp.microsoft.com?

Please try to connect to your server using both modes Passive = on and off. Please also try to use instead of the server name pentax110.co.uk its IP address 87.106.118.16 and instead of port value "ftp" its numerical value 21.

Best regards

dclsteve

Post by dclsteve » May 6th, 2008, 12:40 pm

Cant get WISE to connect to any FTP site - same message each time saying unable to connect.

Just tried FileZilla and it does make a connection so it does appear there is something odd occuring with WISE?

Thanks

Support (AceBIT)

Post by Support (AceBIT) » May 6th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Hello,

usually only firewalls may block the connection in such a silent way. Do you maybe use a proxy server? Do you have any other security programs which might block Wise-FTP?

Best regards

dclsteve

Post by dclsteve » May 6th, 2008, 4:09 pm

It is a bit baffling...
The only software firewall on the laptop is that provided by Windows Vista.
I've also just tried a different internet connection in case the hardware firewall (Watchguard) was blocking me. This connection has no firewall and still the same result. The "other" FTP software worked in both situations.

Paul Claessen

Post by Paul Claessen » May 7th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Just for what it's worth: I'm using Wise-FTP 5.5.8 with my 1and1 domains/accounts all the time and it works just fine!
I DID help a friend a few weeks back who had problems with FTP-ing to 1and1 though.
It turned out he recently started using SSL for his FTP access to 1and1, and for some reason, 1and1 didn't handle that correctly (they never admitted that).
When he switched back to non-SSL connections, everything worked fine again.
As for firewall issues: you ARE using 'passive' mode, right?

Paul Claessen

Post by Paul Claessen » May 7th, 2008, 7:38 pm

If you feel confident with it, you could install wireshark, capture the session, and email me the file, so that I can have a look at what's happening.
You may want to temporarily change your FTP password for this, since it will be visible in the capture.
Even better yet, take two captures: one of the failure, and one of the working session (different FTP client).

Get wireshark here: http://www.wireshark.org/