incomplete uploads

This forum is designated to discuss WISE-FTP.
jbraner

incomplete uploads

Post by jbraner » March 28th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Hi,

I have a strange problem on my XP SP3 PC using Wise-FTP 6.07. I'm uploading some files to a FTP server at my ISP as a form of off site backup. I recently realised that some files are not completely uploading - although there are no errors. If these files are Excel spreadsheets, they are corrupt when I download them to my PC, if they are jpg files they're not corrupt, but only part of the image is there!

I know this is weird, but I'm running out of ideas what to check - so any help would be appreciated

Here are the facts:

- this error only occurs on uploads (downloads seem fine)
- the error only occurs in passive mode
- if I untick the box for "Passive (for firewalls....) when I make the connection - everything is fine
- my laptop works fine
- so this eliminates the FTP server, and my wireless and DSL routers
- it seems to do the same thing with my "Kaspersky Internet Security" software completely disabled

I'm happy to just not use passive mode, but I'm perplexed as to what is going on. It seems to be related to my PC (running XP SP3).

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

John Braner

jbraner

Re: incomplete uploads

Post by jbraner » March 28th, 2009, 5:32 pm

I'll answer my own post. It was the intrusion detection s/w after all.

It seems that the "online security" and "system security" actually override the firewall settings! It was doing some sort of monitering on the FTP ports and causing my files not to upload correctly.

I've created a doc showing how I fixed the problem, but I can't upload it - so I've uploaded a few screen captures...
Attachments
setup-1.png
(110.44 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
setup-2.png
(97.83 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
setup-3.png
(96.2 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

jbraner

Post by jbraner » March 28th, 2009, 6:42 pm

Further to my previous post, it was still not 100% reliable. I've downloaded Filezilla and it works perfectly every time. I'll just forget about Wise-FTP.

AceBIT
Site Admin

Post by AceBIT » March 30th, 2009, 2:50 pm

If this error occurs only in Passive Mode, why dont you just disable it?
Beste Grüße aus Darmstadt! - Best regards from Darmstadt!

AceBIT GmbH, Holzhofallee 15, 64295 Darmstadt, Deutschland - Tel.: +49 61 51 136 50-0, Fax: +49 61 51 136 50-20, E-Mail: info@acebit.de, Web: https://www.acebit.de

jbraner

Post by jbraner » March 30th, 2009, 2:59 pm

AceBIT wrote:If this error occurs only in Passive Mode, why dont you just disable it?
Well, that was my original question. The ISP and everybody else seem to think I should be using passive FTP.

Upon further investigation, I was getting occasional errors in Active mode too. I think the problem is the interaction between Kaspersky Internet Security and Wise-FTP, rather than a Wise-FTP problem. I just spent too much time trying to troubleshoot this. I want to be sure my uploads are good as this is a "backup". I can't go check the size of every file every time I upload.

Sorry for putting the name of the other product in my previous post.

AceBIT
Site Admin

Post by AceBIT » March 30th, 2009, 4:25 pm

jbraner wrote: Well, that was my original question. The ISP and everybody else seem to think I should be using passive FTP.
The question if to use passive or not is usually depending on your computers configuration/network, so if active works fine, you can use it with no problems.
Beste Grüße aus Darmstadt! - Best regards from Darmstadt!

AceBIT GmbH, Holzhofallee 15, 64295 Darmstadt, Deutschland - Tel.: +49 61 51 136 50-0, Fax: +49 61 51 136 50-20, E-Mail: info@acebit.de, Web: https://www.acebit.de

jbraner

Post by jbraner » March 30th, 2009, 4:28 pm

OK thanks..

xoggoth

Post by xoggoth » May 25th, 2009, 9:54 pm

I have the same problem but none of above suggestions work for me. Tried two different virus checkers lest that was the problem. The fault occurs in Filezilla (settings make no difference) or any host supplied upload utilities. Oddly, using Explorer works fine but the problem with that solution is I can't use it to upload images to eBay.

If anyone has any other ideas I would be most grateful.