Uploading problems

This forum is designated to discuss WISE-FTP.
pcmcgee

Uploading problems

Post by pcmcgee » February 23rd, 2010, 2:12 pm

Very new to this (first attempt at creating own site). Created simple (with images) 4 pge site in Publisher and uploaded following all instructions and have a few problems (probably something really simple I am doing wrong);

1.) Only the home page appears and I get the error code HTTP 404 when I try and click through to other pages. I have checked the navigation I set in publisher and all works fine when I open the .htm file in my documents.
2.) When I open in Explorer the images don't appear on the home page - used jpg's from clip art that I have changed the colours on.
3.) In Firefox - all the formatting/colour is lost and I only see text.

Also as an aside, could you advise what size the pages need to be set at. I notice I have a slight blank section on the right hand side so if I can get the precise size I can set it when I create. I used a web page template in publisher.

I have uploaded in both ASCII and Binary. I noticed that when publishers puts in into .htm, it creates it as a Firefox file, if that may have anything to do with it.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Re: Uploading problems

Post by Support (AceBIT) » February 25th, 2010, 10:53 am

Hello,

what version of WISE-FTP are you using exactely? You find this info under Help -> About. What OS are you using?

Then let`s see step by step whether we can upload your homepage :wink:

"Error message "Error 404"

- Your startup document is not index.html or not every letter of the file name is in lower case.

- You have saved your website or start file index.html in a sub-directory. Move the file to your webserver's root directory. In most cases, this is the uppermost directory on the
FTP server appears as "/".

When trying to upload now, does your website appear correctly now?

Images are not displayed correctly

How did you implement the images to your website? Did you work with a graphic program to change colour of your image? Are the images displayed correctly in other browsers than Firefox?

Best regards,
AceBIT Support
AceBIT - Support -

pcmcgee

Re: Uploading problems

Post by pcmcgee » February 25th, 2010, 5:58 pm

Hi many thanks for coming back,

My file has the .htm extension (rather than .html) as this is what Publishers put it in when I hit 'publish to web'. I realised I was putting the single file rather than the whole folder in the directory, but now I have done that, I can see that it is uploading loads of files, but I am still getting the same view, i.e. can only see home page and not others with error 404. Have checked all lower case and in right place.

I am using WISE-FTP 6 and my operating system is Vista.

As to the images - I changed them in Microsoft Picture Manager and saved them as jpegs.
Its' explorer that I can;t see the images in. In Firefox all the formatting is lost and it only shows pure text let along images.

Please help!
Thanks,