Version 7 and Drag & Drop?

This forum is designated to discuss WISE-FTP.
davidascher
Expert
Expert

Version 7 and Drag & Drop?

Post by davidascher » June 27th, 2011, 5:45 pm

In version 5 and 6 of Wise-FTP I was able to drag and drop a file from an explorer window into the remote system pane and it would get uploaded. In version 7, I get an icon (circle with line through it) indicating that I cannot drop the file in the pane.... and I cannot.

Is this change in behavior intentional? The old behavior was much more convenient.
Dave Ascher

AceBIT
Site Admin

Re: Version 7 and Drag & Drop?

Post by AceBIT » June 29th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Hello davidascher,

this did not changed since version 5 and drag and drop is still available. Dropping works only in the bottom part of the panel, the so called list view.

On windows Vista/7 problems with drag-and-drop may occur if wise-ftp is running 'as Administrator' while Explorer with normal rights. In such cases windows blocks any drag-and-drop operations between the processes
Beste Grüße aus Darmstadt! - Best regards from Darmstadt!

AceBIT GmbH, Holzhofallee 15, 64295 Darmstadt, Deutschland - Tel.: +49 61 51 136 50-0, Fax: +49 61 51 136 50-20, E-Mail: info@acebit.de, Web: https://www.acebit.de

davidascher
Expert
Expert

Post by davidascher » June 29th, 2011, 9:19 pm

I'm still running win-xp. I am trying to drop on the lower panel on the right.

Can you suggest anything I can do to gather more information to figure this out?

thanks.
Dave Ascher

davidascher
Expert
Expert

Post by davidascher » June 30th, 2011, 12:10 am

It appears that the problem I'm having has nothing to do with Wise-FTP. I finally noticed that I got the icon indicating that I couldn't do a drag & drop as soon as I grabbed the file and started moving it.

Sorry to have bothered you about it.
Dave Ascher

davidascher
Expert
Expert

Post by davidascher » June 30th, 2011, 2:57 am

I am very very embarrassed about this... I did a lousy job of investigating this problem and jumped to false conclusions. PLEASE DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS OBSERVATION THAT THIS WAS NOT A WISE-FTP Version 7 problem... I have only seen a drag and drop problem with WISE-FTP Version 7.

Here is the real story....

I CAN drag and drop files to the lower right pane in WISE-FTP Version 6 successfully.

I CANNOT drag and drop files to the lower right pane in WISE-FTP Version 7. At all.

I used the exact same source directory and file and the exact same destination directory in both cases.

I'm running Version 6.1.5.0 and 7.0.1.0.

I have looked through all the properties of the shortcuts and of the executable files and I don't see any difference.

I don't know where else to look for the source of the problem.

I can drag and drop files into my browser(s) and Outlook and everything else I have tried without any issue. Only WISE-FTP Version 7 appears to have a problem.

What else can I tell you?
Dave Ascher

AceBIT
Site Admin

Post by AceBIT » June 30th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Unfortunatelly we can not reproduce this behaviour but we will add some code in the next build which will hopefully correct this issue on your side. This will be included i the build 7.0.2

AceBIT GmbH, Holzhofallee 15, 64295 Darmstadt, Deutschland - Tel.: +49 61 51 136 50-0, Fax: +49 61 51 136 50-20, E-Mail: info@acebit.de, Web: https://www.acebit.de

davidascher
Expert
Expert

Post by davidascher » June 30th, 2011, 7:12 pm

thank you for the rapid (as usual) response.

It sounds like you must have some idea why this might be happening on my system...
When might the next build be available? I would be happy to test it for you before you release it generally.
Dave Ascher

AceBIT
Site Admin

Post by AceBIT » July 1st, 2011, 5:40 pm

Thank you for this offer. You can download a build which includes the mentioned changes here:

http://www.wise-ftp.com/tmp/wiseftp7.exe

Please note that this is just the executable and you should rename your old wiseftp7.exe and then try this one.

However, we can't give you a precise time frame on when we will release version 7.0.2, because our estimate can be misleading.

davidascher
Expert
Expert

Post by davidascher » July 1st, 2011, 6:48 pm

I downloaded the executable and

drag-n-drop works perfectly but only for files - NOT for folders. In Version 6 I can do drag and drop both folders and files.

I hadn't noticed before but Download-> "Move to Local System" moves files but doesn't delete the empty folders from the remote system after the files have moved. Shouldn't it?
Dave Ascher

AceBIT
Site Admin

Post by AceBIT » July 1st, 2011, 9:59 pm

davidascher wrote:I downloaded the executable and

drag-n-drop works perfectly but only for files - NOT for folders. In Version 6 I can do drag and drop both folders and files.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. We will correct this in the official release!
davidascher wrote: I hadn't noticed before but Download-> "Move to Local System" moves files but doesn't delete the empty folders from the remote system after the files have moved. Shouldn't it?
This bug was already reported in the past. Obviously it was not yet fixed. We will put it on the to-do list for the next release again.

davidascher
Expert
Expert

Post by davidascher » July 2nd, 2011, 12:31 am

I'd be happy to test again when you get some code ready.
Dave Ascher

davidascher
Expert
Expert

Post by davidascher » July 16th, 2011, 6:48 pm

I've been upgraded to v7.0.3 and now the drag and drop from an explorer window doesn't work again... It DID work fine in the test version you provided me with.

I also noticed that you 'fixed' the problem that folders could not be moved to the local system (under "Download"->"Move to Local System" by greying out that option. I can move (as well as copy) a folder to the server from the left pane...

When copying a folder from the right pane to the left pane, I cannot drag & drop the folder... This seems like a new problem.

Using the download button, I am not seeing any popup to ask if I want to replace already existing files, etc... That seems wrong.

When do you plan to release the next "upgrade" that will, I hope, address these problems and introduce no new problems?
Dave Ascher

AceBIT
Site Admin

Post by AceBIT » July 18th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately we can not reproduce any of your reported problems. Can you please uninstall WISE-FTP and then install it again by downloading the official build from our website? The problems you mentioned should not appear in the official version.

davidascher
Expert
Expert

Post by davidascher » July 18th, 2011, 5:19 pm

I did a little more testing using a different ftp server and everything appears to be working fine with that server.

I went back to the original ftp server that gave me all the problems yesterday and today it appears to be working reasonably. I should have thought of testing with a different ftp server before. Sorry (again) for any of your time that got wasted.

I promise I will be much more careful in the future before complaining.

HOWEVER, there are still some behaviors that don't make sense to me and which work differently from how they worked in V6.

Perhaps you could explain what I SHOULD expect to happen when I execute the following actions:
  • Select a folder in the server lower pane, right-click, select 'move to local system'. In V6 the folder contents are copied to the local system... the directories and subdirectories on the server are not deleted, however.?? in V7 the option 'move to local system' is greyed out.
  • Right-click on a local folder in the lower pane and select "move to server". In V6 the folder and contents get copied to the server and the files are NOT deleted from the local system. I don't see how this is a 'move'. . In V7 the "move to server" option simply creates the folder on the server but no files get copied.
I'm not sure wh
Dave Ascher

AceBIT
Site Admin

Post by AceBIT » July 18th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your feedback!
davidascher wrote: Select a folder in the server lower pane, right-click, select 'move to local system'. In V6 the folder contents are copied to the local system... the directories and subdirectories on the server are not deleted, however.?? in V7 the option 'move to local system' is greyed out.
We can not reproduce this. Does it always remain greyout out on your side?
move.gif
davidascher wrote: Right-click on a local folder in the lower pane and select "move to server". In V6 the folder and contents get copied to the server and the files are NOT deleted from the local system. I don't see how this is a 'move'. . In V7 the "move to server" option simply creates the folder on the server but no files get copied.
This one was reproduceable but in a different way than you describe. The files are uploaded but not deleted from the local hard disk.

davidascher
Expert
Expert

Post by davidascher » July 18th, 2011, 8:17 pm

What I was seeing in V7, under "Download"->"move to local system" is greyed out. Not "Move To".

I was just about to post and image showing what I meant but NOW (and I have changed nothing) the 'move to local system' is NOT greyed out.

Inconsistent behavior seems to be much more common with V7 than it was with V6.

THe most important thing for me was the behavior that allowed me to drag a file or folder from an explorer window into the server lower pane. That seems to be working reliably now, so I am relatively happy.

I do think, however, that you want to ensure that all of the variations I described work all the time as they should. "move to local system" and "move to server" should, I would think, work differently from simply downloading and uploading which copy. They should, I would expect, remove the files and directories from the source system after the copy is done.

Am I misunderstanding what "move to server" and 'move to local system" mean?

thanks.
Dave Ascher