Can't change authentication

This forum is designated to discuss Password Depot.
jazsoz

Can't change authentication

Post by jazsoz » March 19th, 2011, 5:02 pm

I wanted to change the authentication to a file opened only by keyfile.

This is what happened:
http://screencast.com/t/roInkJSZPH

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Re: Can't change authentication

Post by Support (AceBIT) » March 22nd, 2011, 2:31 pm

Hello jazsoz,

Please note that you will have to enter your old master password and your previous key file - if you used one before as well - above the selection for the new file/password, otherwise you will not be able to select a new authentification.

If you used a key file before or if you use one for another file, we would recommend you to select a different name for your new key file and not overwrite the old file.

Best regards
AceBIT - Support -

superbug

Post by superbug » March 19th, 2013, 2:58 pm

how do i input a key file and/or change my master password?

Birke (AceBIT-Team)
Guru
Guru

Post by Birke (AceBIT-Team) » March 26th, 2013, 3:09 pm

In order to change the authentication of your passwords file, please proceed as follows (the description refers to Password Depot 7):

1.) Open the passwords file in question within Password Depot.
2.) Open this file’s “Properties.”
3.) On the “General” tab, click on “Change (Authentication).” There shows a dialog window.
4.) In the window’s upper half: In the field “Old Key File”, select your old key file.
5.) In the window’s lower half: Select the authentication method (e.g. master password) and then enter this authentication.
6.) When finished, click on “OK.”

superbug

Post by superbug » March 27th, 2013, 6:57 pm

i am sorry but i must be very thick but i cannot see how to change the master file. your reply seemed to show me how to amend general passwords but not the master password. :(

Birke (AceBIT-Team)
Guru
Guru

Post by Birke (AceBIT-Team) » April 2nd, 2013, 11:45 am

Hi superbug,

Which version of Password Depot are you using?

If you are using version 6 or 7, you should be able to open a file, then open this file's properties, stay on the "General" tab and finally click on “Change (Authentication).”

superbug

Post by superbug » April 2nd, 2013, 8:50 pm

I am using v7. Where is the master password file kept that I have to open? That is the problem I am having as I cannot see where it is stored in order to amend it.

Birke (AceBIT-Team)
Guru
Guru

Post by Birke (AceBIT-Team) » April 3rd, 2013, 11:34 am

Hi superbug,

There is no "master password file" as the master password of users' passwords files only exists in the users' heads; it is not stored within the program or on your PC. As far as we have understood your request, however, the master password is not relevant in your case anyway since you have so far opened your file(-s) by means of a key file.

If you are using version 7 of Password Depot, please open your passwords file within the program and then open this file's properties. (Click on the "Home" tab and then select "Properties.") In the properties dialog window, please stay on the "General" tab. At the bottom of the dialog window, there is the heading "Authentication," and at the right of it there is a button saying “Change." Please click onto this button in order to open the dialog window for changing your file's authentication method.