Out of memory warning / slow start

This forum is designated to discuss Password Depot.
Martin_1

Out of memory warning / slow start

Post by Martin_1 » January 16th, 2016, 8:00 pm

All of a sudden I can't safe my passwords anymore. I keep getting an out of memory warning. I have plenty of memory and my password file is not overly big 523 passwords of which non have a time limit, no TAN fields are created, no Custom fields are created, on the additinal tab nothing has been added besides what is standard there.

So why this out of memory warning?

I also notice that it's extremly slow to start.

I am running everything on an SSD with 8GB of ram and plenty of space. So there is no reason for it to start slow or to be out of memory. I am not getting an out of memory warning when I run heavy programs like Photoshop or render a video.

Martin_1

Re: Out of memory warning / slow start

Post by Martin_1 » January 20th, 2016, 12:10 am

I looked further into this and the problem lies with how Password Depot "renders" the pswx file. As soon as I try to safe my passwordfile on my pc, the ammount of resources it needs skyrockets to 1.2 GB (!) and it uses 26% (!) of my cpu. Both numbers are insane and by far trump Adobe Photoshop, After Effects and Illustrator put together.

I know it is the pswx file because I copied the file to my Samsung Galaxy tab4 tablet and now the Password Depot app there has the same issue (which it didn't have with the previous pswx file).

So I am in need of a solution and quick, because this is a tool I use every day constantly (I have to login into a lot of things every day).

Martin_1

Post by Martin_1 » January 20th, 2016, 6:36 pm

I now installed version 8 and this doesn't give me an out of memory warning. However it also won't let me chnage any texts insie any of the fields of PassWord Depot. My keyboard doesn't seem to function in Pasword Depot. So now I am stuck. I need some urgent help, because as said above. I use this program every day dozens of times a day.

Martin_1

Post by Martin_1 » January 20th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Okay, I keep investigating and after deleting all of my passwords in Password Depot Version 9 and emptying the recycle bin, I can now save the file. So it definately has something to do with the size of the file that needs saving which is 67.169 kb large. Which is strange, because it was never an issue before.

I now have reduced my passwordlist from 8 folders to 3 folders which is 46.451 kb large.

The original file of 8 folders contained a totall of 523 passwords dived up into:

root: 15 passwords
folder 1: 21 passwords
folder 2: 87 passwords
folder 3: 91 passwords
folder 4: 14 passwords
folder 5: 5 passwords
folder 6: 2 passwords
folder 7: 136 passwords
folder 8: 152 passwords

The new passwordlist contains a totall of 190 passwords divided up into:

folder 1: 91 passwords
folder 2: 87 passwords
folder 3: 12 passwords

The moment I had about 197 passwords I got the out of memory warning again. So Password Depot can no longer deal with the ammount of passwords anymore. Which it could originally!

Somewhere between 197 passwords and 190 passwords lies the limit. This is obviously something that needs to be solved.

petzl
Expert
Expert

Post by petzl » January 24th, 2016, 6:22 am

This WIN 10 64 bit?
A WIN feature it seems.
Try running "Command Prompt" as administrator then CHKDSK
See if you still have issues?

petzl
Expert
Expert

Post by petzl » January 27th, 2016, 4:28 am

Just to clarify CHKDSK will "flush" ones virtual memory in WIN10 64bit if problem goes away then it's a virtual memory problem.