WinSurvey PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED

This forum is designated to discuss WinSurvey.
Jason

WinSurvey PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED

Post by Jason » August 23rd, 2004, 2:38 pm

I created a survey, and set the response handling up to send ASP 3.0 mail to my e-mail address. The CGI script path is "processform.asp". I published my files and saved them locally.

The name of my published survey is Name.html. In fact, here are all the files that I saved locally:
Name.html
Processform.asp
Questionaire.asp
Standardthanx.html

I uploaded these files to a server we run ASP scripts on. Our server definitely supports ASP scripts, and mailing. I have spoken with our ISP providers technical support and they say that the Winsurvey generated asp script does not contain information about our ISP's SMTP mail server. which it needs to do if it's going to send out mail.

When I go online and do the survey, I get "Page Cannot be Displayed" error when click on submit.

How can I fix this? How can I add information about our SMTP server?

Serghei (AceBIT)

Post by Serghei (AceBIT) » September 21st, 2004, 12:44 pm

Hello,

Please do the following:

Create an empty file "test.asp" and copy the below text into the file:
<%
strTo = "youremail@address.com"
strFrom = "sender@yourrerver.com"
strSubject = "Subject Here"
strMessage = "MessageBody"

sendMail strTo, strFrom, strSubject, strMessage

Sub sendMail(sTo, sFrom, sSubject, sMessage)
Set Mail = Server.CreateObject("Persits.MailSender")
Mail.Host = "127.0.0.1"
Mail.Subject = sSubject
Mail.From = sFrom
Mail.AddAddress sTo
Mail.Body = sMessage
Mail.SendToQueue
Set Mail = Nothing
End Sub
%>
Replace "youremail@address.com" with your real email address and upload this file onto your web server. Then try to open this file on server in your browser. What the does the server response?

If the server says "Server.CreateObject Failed" please consult with your ISP provider, which email component is available? It might be ASPEMail, CDOSYS, JMail, IPWorks, or other mail components. If the supported email component requires authentification for sending emails please ask your ISP about authentfication settings.

Best regards

Jason

Post by Jason » September 22nd, 2004, 9:59 am

Many thanks for your help. I have to fix this today, and I really want to use this program!

A couple of questions: What do I put for the line below? Do I subsitute my ISP's smtp server here?

strFrom="sender@yourserver.com"

Also, what about the line:

Mail.Host = "127.0.0.1"

Don't I need to change this IP address?

Serghei (AceBIT)

Post by Serghei (AceBIT) » September 22nd, 2004, 10:19 am

Hello,

It is not important what your write in strFrom. This string just should have any valid email address. For example, if your ISP SMTP server is "smtp.myserver.com" then you can write:
strFrom="winsurvey@smtp.myserver.com" or something similar.

If you know the real IP address of your SMTP server you can write this address in Mail.Host otherwise the string
Mail.Host = "127.0.0.1"
should be acceptable. The IP address "127.0.0.1" means that the Mail component and the .asp file are located on the same server.

Best regards

Jason

Post by Jason » September 22nd, 2004, 12:17 pm

Thank you for your support - I appreciate this.

So this line must be the smtp server address then?

Set Mail = Server.CreateObject("persits.mailsender")

Serghei (AceBIT)

Post by Serghei (AceBIT) » September 22nd, 2004, 1:52 pm

Hello,

No, the line
Set Mail = Server.CreateObject("Persits.MailSender")
determines the type of Mail component used by your server. This type "Persits.MailSender" is most common used object on classic ASP servers therefore we dont recommend you to change this.

Only if the server responses "Server.CreateObject Failed", then contact your ISP provider and ask them which Mail components they support? That is what they recommend to write in the ASP expersion Server.CreateObject("Persits.MailSender") ?

Best regards

Jason

Post by Jason » September 23rd, 2004, 1:42 pm

I have tested the side script you posted with the correct settings, and I got the server error you mentioned : "Server.CreateObject Failed"

Now I am trying to find out what mail component they are using. I have tried both ASP and JMail and neither of them work.

I guess it's not possible for Winsurvey to generate processform files for other mail components?

Anyway, thanks for the help - I'll get back to you when I know what the mail component is, and then hopefully you will be able to help / advise how to solve this problem.