Problem creating mySQL database.

This forum is designated to discuss WinSurvey.
kevray

Problem creating mySQL database.

Post by kevray » September 24th, 2005, 1:29 am

I have been unable to create a database from within WinSurvey.

I created a test survey using Survey Designer. Product worked great.

In settings I have chosen PHP Script Engine, selected "Insert Responses in Database", and filled out the DB Connectivity information. When I go to ResultManagement and select "Create a new database" I immediately receive a pop-up saying "Could not create the database!"

I am using WinSurvey 2005 build 2.0.0.0 demo (unregistered) version.
MySQL 4.1.14-nt
Dual Intel Xeon 3.2GHz with 4G RAM and 1T HD (80% free).
XP Pro w/all svc packs
PHP 5.0.5 -- mySQL enabled (Client API ver 4.1.7) / ODBC Support enabled
WinSurvey, PHP, and mySQL are all running on localhost
no s/w firewall running on localhost

:cry:

AceBIT Support

Post by AceBIT Support » September 26th, 2005, 12:43 pm

Hello,

Have you tried to create the needed tables in your database manually? This should fix the problem.

kevray

Post by kevray » September 26th, 2005, 9:05 pm

No. How would I determine the structure of the table(s)?

kevray

Post by kevray » September 27th, 2005, 2:29 am

Ok, well that didn't work.

I created a mdb db and then replicated the tables in my mySQL db. There were some rather odd naming conventions that had to be massaged, however the bottom-line is that it still doesn't work.

When I go to Result Management and select 'Create a new database' I get an error "Could not create the database!" (thanks for all the detail in the error msg).

When I select "Open an existing database" I get an error "Database was not found! Maybe the database does not exist, or the server is down...".

AceBIT Support

Post by AceBIT Support » September 27th, 2005, 11:31 am

Hello,

Can you please send us a screenshot of the menue "Survey Designer" -> "Settings" -> "DB connectivity" to our support@acebit.com e-mail address? Please refer to this thread so that our colleagues know what the problem is. Thanks a lot in advance!

kevray

Post by kevray » September 28th, 2005, 12:36 am

sent.

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » September 28th, 2005, 11:17 am

Hello,

we got your screenshots and the settings seem to be correct so that at least locally WinSurvey should be able to reach the database. But unfortunately we don't know the latest Beta releases of MySQL 5.x very well. This new version seems to have different login methods ("old" one and "new" one). Maybe you can find settings for this somewhere in the MySQL administration tool and see if changing the settings for login helps?
AceBIT - Support -

kevray

Post by kevray » September 28th, 2005, 7:16 pm

Who is using mySQL 5.0x?

Again...

I am using WinSurvey 2005 build 2.0.0.0 demo (unregistered) version.
MySQL 4.1.14-nt
Dual Intel Xeon 3.2GHz with 4G RAM and 1T HD (80% free).
XP Pro w/all svc packs
PHP 5.0.5 -- mySQL enabled (Client API ver 4.1.7) / ODBC Support enabled
WinSurvey, PHP, and mySQL are all running on localhost
no s/w firewall running on localhost

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » September 29th, 2005, 11:19 am

Hello,

oh sorry, it was the wrong version information we read from your screenshot (the client is 5.x). We really have to apologize. But another question: Does the access to the database work with other software from the same PC where WinSurvey is installed - maybe you tried other software than the mySQL Administrator already? We currently really can't see anything that's wrong with your setup.
AceBIT - Support -

kevray

Post by kevray » September 29th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Yes.

It works with all my other apps. Currently, I'm evaluating another survey application, phpQ, and it works fine. Another datapoint: if I supply an incorrect IP addr then there is a length delay before I get the dialog saying the database can't be created. When I provide the correct IP the error appears immediately.

Is there no way to get verbose error reporting? Or an error log? The existing error message is quite useless.

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » September 30th, 2005, 12:13 pm

Hello,

sorry, unfortunately currently it is not possible to get a more detailed error message. But anyway, as we seem not to be able to immediately help you, we will have to forward this to our developers. We hope they have an answer to this but this can take some days.
AceBIT - Support -

kevray

Post by kevray » October 17th, 2005, 7:29 pm

Should I expect a reply? Or is this thread dead?

AceBIT Support

Post by AceBIT Support » October 18th, 2005, 2:27 pm

Hello,

We talked to our developers again, and they said, that in certain circumstances MySQL Version 4.x can cause this trouble. Do you have the chance to test it with a MySQL 3.x Version?

kevray

WinSurvery Only Works with an Obsolete Version of mySQL?

Post by kevray » October 18th, 2005, 9:54 pm

That's crazy.

mySQL 3.x was released in 2003! It's vintage. Your developer is NOT being honest with you.

Serghei (AceBIT)

Post by Serghei (AceBIT) » October 21st, 2005, 12:19 pm

Hello,

We have installed the same version of MySql (4.1.14) as yours and all worked fine. A few moments we would ask you to check:

1) WinSurvey creates automatically all required tables but it cannot create a database. Therefore, for correct work you need to create a database (for ex. 'winsurvey_db') using control panel of your MySql server;

2) Privilegies: Make sure WinSurvey 2005 has all privilegies for working with 'winsurvey_db'. We would recommend creation a special account (user) and granting all privilegies to that user on the database 'winsurvey_db'

Best regards