Win survey option

This forum is designated to discuss WinSurvey.
Stephen

Win survey option

Post by Stephen » February 13th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Hello,

Two quick questions I was hoping you might be able to answer. First, when I'm importing my results from a .ans file (from the interview) the essay questions are chopped off. Even after I expand the column and reimport, they seem the have a maximum length. How can I see the entire response (I checked the .ans file w/ a hex editor and the whole response is there.) Second, a woman taking the survey is able to use the executable, but when it pops up, there is no "next" button (or any of the associated buttons), there is only the main frame of the Interview interface. We're using the most recent version of WinSurvey. Thank you.

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » February 14th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Hello,

could you please send us your .sur file and a sample .ans file for investigation to support@acebit.com? Currently we have not enough information to make any conclusions, but with these files we will try to find the problem.
AceBIT - Support -

Stephen

Post by Stephen » February 14th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Unfortunately, the survey is being performed on a proprietary server w/o internet access, so I can't pull off the information directly and send it to you. I can, however, examine and type up certain things. Are there certain headers or options I can type and send to you that would take the place of the actual .ans or .sur file?

Julian (AceBIT Support)

Post by Julian (AceBIT Support) » February 16th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Hello,

unfortunately, with the complete survey files it would be much easier to find the solution to this issue. Is there no way to email it to support@acebit.com?

Stephen

Cause to shortening of field

Post by Stephen » February 17th, 2006, 9:35 pm

We've discovered that the responses are shortened because the Microsoft Access database uses a text field for that answer response with a 120 character limit. The problem with this is that there is a 255 character HARD limit in the Access DB, so the longest the response can be is 255 in the DB, and since we have responses longer than 255 characters, this is not an acceptable answer. Also, we cannot use the MEMO function as a choice for field type as it does not work with the database (it simply displays the word (memo) in all of the results for that field. I'm imagining this is because you reference a text field specifically for that type of answer. Please let me know how to work around this to get responses for essay questions larger than 255 characters. Thank you.

Julian (AceBIT Support)

Post by Julian (AceBIT Support) » February 22nd, 2006, 4:17 pm

Hello,

do you have the possibility to use a MySQL database instead of MS Access? This would abolish this restricitions of MS Access.