How do you enter Greek characters and subscripts?

This forum is designated to discuss WinSurvey.
AndrewBond

How do you enter Greek characters and subscripts?

Post by AndrewBond » April 8th, 2009, 4:54 pm

In WinSurvey 1.0.5 (2003) it was possible to enter Greek characters and subscripts into the Quation and Answer fields by using the appropriate HTML codes,

e.g. &alpha; and N<sub>x</sub>

How do you enter Greek characters and subscripts into WinSurvey 3?

There are 'Paste as HTML' and 'Paste as Text' commands which both appear to do the same thing - paste as text.

If you type the HTML directly into the editor, then it appears as plain text when you generate an HTML page.

Help!

:cry: I am amazed that so much functionality from WinSurvey 1 appear to be missing from WinSurvey 3. WS3 has a better interface - but I expected it to be at least as capable as the old program. Am I missing something?

Andrew

AceBIT
Site Admin

Re: How do you enter Greek characters and subscripts?

Post by AceBIT » April 9th, 2009, 11:35 am

Currently the editors for Questions and Answers always work as HTML editors, this means you can not edit within WinSurvey the HTML code itself.

If you want to enter special characters you have 2 options:

1) Enter the character itself, not the HTML code into the editor. e.g α instead of &alpha;
2) Edit the generated HTML page and enter the special characters there.

About the missing features in v3:

Version 1 was indeed very powerfull but on the other hand it was very difficult to use. With version 3 we made a complete redisign and removed a lot of unneeded ballast. The result is a easy to use application, which we will extend with time and improve it further.

If you find any functionalitty that is missing in version 3, please let us know. We are always working on the improvement of our products and would be happy to receive your feedback!
Beste Grüße aus Darmstadt! - Best regards from Darmstadt!

AceBIT GmbH, Holzhofallee 15, 64295 Darmstadt, Deutschland - Tel.: +49 61 51 136 50-0, Fax: +49 61 51 136 50-20, E-Mail: info@acebit.de, Web: https://www.acebit.de

AndrewBond

Post by AndrewBond » April 9th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Edit the generated HTML page and enter the special characters there.
That defeats the purpose of using WinSurvey - if I wanted to edit the HTML code I would have created the whole survey in HTML code myself. Also, if I change the survey, I then have to remember to change the HTML code again. NOT good.
With version 3 we made a complete redisign and removed a lot of unneeded ballast
You actually removed a lot of very useful features, that I still want and thought I would still be getting when I upgraded.

Please restore the following features:
  • Ability to enter HTML code in the editors and get the corrersponding symbol/subscript/etc, e.g. &alpha; and <sub>
  • Ability to renumber the QuestionIDs. I would be happy with automatic renumbering starting at 1 - however you do it, there needs to be some method of fixing up the random order of numbers that arises after copying and pasting questions
  • Provide an easy way to control the default font and font sizes without having to edit the resulting generated HTML
Andrew

AceBIT
Site Admin

Post by AceBIT » April 9th, 2009, 6:42 pm

AndrewBond wrote: That defeats the purpose of using WinSurvey - if I wanted to edit the HTML code I would have created the whole survey in HTML code myself. Also, if I change the survey, I then have to remember to change the HTML code again. NOT good.
It is just an alternative option, we would also prefer option 1)
AndrewBond wrote: You actually removed a lot of very useful features, that I still want and thought I would still be getting when I upgraded.

Please restore the following features:
  • Ability to enter HTML code in the editors and get the corrersponding symbol/subscript/etc, e.g. &alpha; and <sub>
  • Ability to renumber the QuestionIDs. I would be happy with automatic renumbering starting at 1 - however you do it, there needs to be some method of fixing up the random order of numbers that arises after copying and pasting questions
  • Provide an easy way to control the default font and font sizes without having to edit the resulting generated HTML
Thank you very much for your feedback! We will soon implement an HTML code editor and also an improved system to handle all formating issues (like default font and font size).

About the numbering: this is not so random as it looks like since there is an internal system for assigning these IDs. The IDs are treated currently as an "internal" thing, maintained by the program and we are not sure, if we can change this.
Beste Grüße aus Darmstadt! - Best regards from Darmstadt!

AceBIT GmbH, Holzhofallee 15, 64295 Darmstadt, Deutschland - Tel.: +49 61 51 136 50-0, Fax: +49 61 51 136 50-20, E-Mail: info@acebit.de, Web: https://www.acebit.de

jnk96

Post by jnk96 » June 4th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Has the HTML Editor been added back into the program in 3.2.8?

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » June 9th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Not yet, this will require majos changes. However, it will be back in version 4, together with many new features.
AceBIT - Support -