teething Problems

This forum is designated to discuss AceBackup. Please note that questions in this forum are not answered by our support team.
Paul Cheeseman

teething Problems

Post by Paul Cheeseman » February 11th, 2005, 11:27 am

Hi

I have just setup AceBackup, and have a couple of problems.

Trying to schedule a job, the schedule will not start, and when you look at it via windows, it says disabled.

Writing to a DVD-RW, it finalises the disk!!!!! i need it to read/write! Cant find any settings for this.

Please can you tell me how to get around this, as your software actually does what i need, ie concurrently writing to dvd-rw, ftp & local disks.

Regards

Paul

Serghei (AceBIT)

Post by Serghei (AceBIT) » February 11th, 2005, 11:49 am

Hello,

The matter with disabled scheduled tasks is: when you open an AceBackup project in the program's main window, the associated scheduled item is temporary disabled. This is made to prevent simultaneous processing backups both by the user and the scheduled program instance. When you close this project in the main window, the associated scheduled task is automatically returns to its original state (enabled or disabled).

With respect to writing to DVD-RW. This is strange because AceBackup finalizes only the current track but NOT the entire disk. Could you please tell us the model of your DVD-ROM and types of disks you use? We will investigate this issue and try to find a solution.

Best regards

Paul Cheeseman

Post by Paul Cheeseman » February 11th, 2005, 11:57 am

HI

Its a Pioneer DVR-109, and I am using Sony DVD-RW 4.7Gb DMW47A2 disks

I will try the schedule again, only writing to a local disk, see how it difffers.

Thanks

EDIT::: Just checked the DVD-RW disk on another machine, it has been fully finalised, cannot be added to, or erased :((

I will need to reuse ALL my dvd's, so will wait for solution before trying again.

Regards

Paul

Paul Cheeseman

Post by Paul Cheeseman » February 16th, 2005, 9:02 pm

Hi

I have just finished testing the DVD Re Write backup on another DVD Drive, (A pioneer DVD 105) and it did the same thing, finalised the DVD RW after backing up.

I do assume that you support DVD RW, allowing each days backup to be written to the disk ?? Does Ace erase the DVD to do this ? as we expect to have 3 - 4 GB written each night, with a rotation system, so that each week/month, the DVD is re used/overwritten.

What DVD writers do you know will re write correctly ?? as this is a new project, I could always change the DVD drive, for one that can write to them over and over again ??

Regards

Paul

Paul Cheeseman

Post by Paul Cheeseman » February 22nd, 2005, 2:02 pm

HI

Have you managed to get anywhere with this problem please ??

I am running out of trial time, but will happily purchase when I know that it will work .

Regards

Paul Cheeseman

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » February 25th, 2005, 12:20 pm

Hello,

Unfortunately we don't have this DVD drive here for testing, so our developers could not find out what's wrong here yet, but are doing further investigations on this issue.
AceBIT - Support -

Paul Cheeseman

Post by Paul Cheeseman » March 9th, 2005, 6:28 pm

HI

Sorry to appear to be rushing you, but I only have 3 days left on the trial period, and cannot be without a backup program :(

I assume that the program stops functioning after this period ?

Regards

Paul

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » March 11th, 2005, 11:49 am

Hello,

yes after this period the program won't work. We really apologize that we could not yet find out why this does not work for you.
AceBIT - Support -

Paul Cheeseman

Post by Paul Cheeseman » March 11th, 2005, 7:39 pm

OK Thanks for letting me know.

I have decided , that although the DVD-RW isnt working how it should (well, how I expected it to, anyway), the other features on your software, really do make it worth persevering with, as you have covered most backup needs in one package, and at a fair price!

It would be nice to see some form of support for tape drives, mainly because I have a little 200Gb tape thats now redundant.

The simultanious backup to multiple devices on its own, makes your software stand out, as my main overnight backup currently goes to 3 different places, one after the other, so now it will go at the same time !Cool stuff :)

I am therefore registering it today. Please try and sort out the DVD problem, as it will make my life much easier in the long run.

Regards

Paul