Not backing up all files in database ?

This forum is designated to discuss AceBackup. Please note that questions in this forum are not answered by our support team.
Paul Cheeseman

Post by Paul Cheeseman » March 18th, 2005, 12:55 pm

HI

when my daily project runs on 3 databases, it is only actually backing up 190 out of the 3500 files in one database, and a similar percentage of the other ones.

These are not even the most recent files for that day! In my old backup progrem, a full backup did everything, a differential just did files midified since last backup, which is of course useless for databases.

Despite all 3500 files in DB1 showing in the project, when you look at the log, it only shows 190 as having anything done to them. Same goes for the other 2 databases.

What do I need to alter for it to backup complete directory contents, whatever is in them please ?

AceBIT Support

Post by AceBIT Support » March 21st, 2005, 4:08 pm

Hello,

Are those files you want to backup maybe still in use somewhere? Do you get any error messages during backup or in the log file? What version of AceBackup are you using exactly? You can find this information in the "Help" -> "about AceBackup" menue.

Paul Cheeseman

Post by Paul Cheeseman » May 5th, 2005, 6:43 pm

Been away, hence long reply time.

The files are not in use.

Version is 2(2.1.2.0,2.1.2.0)

This backup runs every day, and what it looks like to me is that it is ONLY backing up files that have changed .... I need it to backup ALL files, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, every time it runs.

The log only shows entries for the files that are actually backed up. It doesnt show the other 3000 + files that are ignored.

When I load the project manager, and look at this directory, I can see all 3500 + files. All have yes under the field backup item, but some of these entries are in bold. I think it is only these that are being backed up.

When I first create a new project on the same directory, all the files are marked bold, and to be backed up. When the new project is run the first time, all get backed up. when i run it next day, only a few are again, despite being marked for backup.

Is there a setting to force ALL files to be backed up every time, as this seems to be the problem. Backups that only backup new files are of no use for a database, only for documents etc.

AceBIT Support

Post by AceBIT Support » May 9th, 2005, 6:00 pm

Hello,

Please right click on the root directory of the files you want to backup and select "properties". At "collision" you can change what ever is to do when there is a name collsion between old and new files. Default is "Update older files only". You might change this to "replace existing files".

Paul Cheeseman

Post by Paul Cheeseman » May 13th, 2005, 3:34 pm

Ok, I did that, also upgraded to the new version from the website (not the update manager) but ...

It cleared all infor from my projects, so I added the required backup files back into them, hit process, it processed them, gave an error message, (acebackup has encountered problems with this project) then crashed. I have re installedm repaired the upgrade, but now simply cant make any projects, as it crashes to desktop every time I click yes to see what the error is :(

Also, is there anyway that you can create a project without actually having to run the backup straight away ? If I create a DVD backup of say 4Gb of databases, when I click process, it runs the backup! so i have to then wait a few hours (or howeverlong it takes) before the project is saved, and can be added to the schedule. I would like to be able to set a backup set, schedule it, usually overnight when noone is working, and leave it. I dont really want to setup new backups, and have to wait till after hours before I can do anything else...

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » May 19th, 2005, 10:07 am

Hello,

unfortunately, we can't reproduce this. Dies the same happen, when you create a new project - maybe a small one that contains only a few files? Which is the version you have installed now (see menu Help / Info)?

We don't really understand the second question. Of course you can create a schedule without immediately running the backup. When you set the starting date to the future, no backup should run before this date. This is not the case on your PC?
AceBIT - Support -