Acebackup Fails to Backup All Files

This forum is designated to discuss AceBackup. Please note that questions in this forum are not answered by our support team.
jogada

Acebackup Fails to Backup All Files

Post by jogada » June 29th, 2005, 10:19 pm

I have many photo files (.jpg) in several sub-folders to a main folder. My back up Project includes the main folder & the Project correctly expands & identifies the sub-folders and their contents for back up ('yes' shown). When I select Process, the Project runs & some photos are backed up but many are not. Some whole sub-folders are not backed up while others are.

When I view the Project log I see successful operation messages but also several errors with the message such as:
Operation: Backup file "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\OLYMPUS\Camedia Master 4\Album\Family Photos\General Photos & Scans\P1010236.JPG"
Result: The system cannot find the path specified (Code: 3)

I have AceBackup Version 2 & XP SP2 & this behaviour occurs even when backing up to the same hard drive (as a test).

What is the meaning of the error code? Is the path the system cannot find the one from the original or the one to the back up location? Why are some files backed up OK but not others?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » July 1st, 2005, 10:57 am

Hello,

we are not sure, but maybe AceBackup has problems with the long path. Usually this should not be a problem. What is the exact version information of AceBackup you have installed? You can find this information in the Help / About menu. Are there any special characters in the files that aren't backed up or are they in a deeper subdirectory structure than the files that could be correctly backed up?
AceBIT - Support -

jogada

Post by jogada » July 4th, 2005, 9:06 pm

I have Version 2 (2.1.3, 2.1.3.0). There are no special characters in the files that are not backed up. The files are at the same level in the structure just in different olders. As a test I shall copy the files to another location with shorter path & attempt back up.

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » July 5th, 2005, 9:39 am

Hello,

yes, even if we are not sure if this will help, you should try this. Maybe we then can isolate the error a bit.
AceBIT - Support -

Darren Chow

Long pathname of files

Post by Darren Chow » February 3rd, 2006, 3:45 pm

I have also experience the error message and I have move all the suspected files up at least two directory level and since the error is no encountered.

However after I move files or directories, I get errors of undefine or file not found - UNLESS I update the project manual. Letting AceBackup to run the schedule project will result in error (2).

++ see my message on Project Configuration.

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » February 8th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Hello,

first, we of course would recommend updating to the latest release 2.1.6. Does this still happen with this release?
AceBIT - Support -

cycocrew

Re: Acebackup Fails to Backup All Files

Post by cycocrew » January 18th, 2009, 11:40 am

Hi,

I'm running AceBackup 2.2.0.0 and I'm also also experiencing the (Code: 3) issue. It appears to be definitely related to the length of the path during file backup. On one machine it starts to fail with a length of 175 and beyond. On another machine it starts to fail with a length of 178 and beyond. Both machines are running Windows Vista SP1. The "max path length before it fails" difference between the two machines is unclear to me.

Have you been able to reproduce such issue? If so, do you plan to have a fix for it?

Thanks.

JEFF

Support (AceBIT)

Post by Support (AceBIT) » January 19th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Hello Jeff,

the total path used by AceBackup for creating a file on a backup media consists of several parts: it inlcudes the target path (for example, E:\directory for backup\subdir1\subdir2\ ), the name of the backup project and the subfolder \Archives\ and finally the fully qualified name of the original file. All these parameters affect on the total length and all together should not exceed 260 symbols, which cause the error (Code: 3). The only workaround is to use shorter names for all parts.

Best regards

cycocrew

Post by cycocrew » January 20th, 2009, 12:38 am

Christiane,

Thanks for the explanation. This is pretty clear now. You may want to have report entry a bit more explicit, displaying the "trimmed" destination path (not just the source path), outlining the 260 chars limit. The help file could also be updated to reflect this. The UI could also warn on this as the destination path length can be computed. Thanks again.

JEFF