Acebackup quits immediatly after backup, without saving

This forum is designated to discuss AceBackup. Please note that questions in this forum are not answered by our support team.
sidar

Acebackup quits immediatly after backup, without saving

Post by sidar » July 7th, 2005, 6:42 pm

First of all, this seems to be an excellent program which I planned to use instead of HandyBackup.

However, there seems to be an issue at least with the evaluation version which I am now using.

Whenever I take a backup, regardless of where the destination is, the program backups the files and then quits immediatly. The problem is that it does then not save the updated project file with the succesfully backed up files being marked as such, so that the next time the backup is run it backups all the files again. This is a problem as I am backing up many GB of data over an FTP connection.

This seems to have been a previously reported issue in the german support group (AceBackup (Testversion) schliesst direkt nach dem Backup???) but my german isn't that good. It seems to me that there was no resolution in that thread to the issue though.

The only workaround I have now is to import the project from the FTP server each time after I have backed up. However that is very cumbersome. I'll buy the product if this has a solution but otherwise I wouldn't really feel confident in using the program.

Looking forward to a reply

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » July 8th, 2005, 10:54 am

Hello,

yes, we know about this problem already, but still could not reproduce this behaviour on any of our testsystems. So is it possible to give us some information about your system? What is your Windows version (incl. SP), free memory when the backup is finishing? Are you loggen on to windows as administrator? What software is running in the background (security software etc.)? What CPU type do you use?

Maybe we will be able to reproduce this when we have some more information.
AceBIT - Support -

sidar

Post by sidar » July 10th, 2005, 10:57 am

It's quite strange that you can't reproduce it. I have a number of different computers with different amounts of memory, CPU etc and this happens on all of them every time I run a backup. THe only thing they have in common is:

I am running Windows XP, which is up to date with all the most recent updates etc and the most recent service packs.
Some of them have anti-virus software, some don't.

I am logged on as a user with full administrator rights.

No other software is running in the background. I tried this on one computer which has only installed on it Microsoft Office 2003, Visual Studio. NET and AceBackup and it shows the same behaviour.

What happens is that after I have completed a backup, I get a message box saying "Information", "29 item(s) have been succesfully processed. Time elapsed: 0:00:01". When I press OK, the application quits immediatly with no warning. This happens regardless of how many files I take a backup of, where I place the backup or how I set any of the settings in the application.

I'm the technical director of a software firm and this happens on all our computers. If your technical staff need any detailed technical information then we can supply any kind of debug information required. Since this is happening on all our computers and this is a known issue I suggest you view this as a high priority issue as many other users must be experiencing the same problem. We will be happy to perform any tests which your technical staff would like us to do.

Thank you

Serghei (AceBIT)

Post by Serghei (AceBIT) » July 11th, 2005, 11:59 am

Hello,

It is true that we cannot reproduce the problem, however we got other similar reports (all of them are on the latest Windows XP SP2). So we will investigate this issue and provide a patched build ASAP.

Best regards

Support (AceBIT)
AceBIT
AceBIT

Post by Support (AceBIT) » July 29th, 2005, 9:36 am

Hello,

meanwhile this bug has been fixed. The latest release of AceBackup is available for download now.
AceBIT - Support -