Backup skips files with error(5)

This forum is designated to discuss AceBackup. Please note that questions in this forum are not answered by our support team.
RoyCoates

Backup skips files with error(5)

Post by RoyCoates » July 8th, 2005, 1:26 pm

I'm backing up to an FTP server using no encryption or compression but find that the backup report lists many files with:

Result: Access is denied (Code: 5)

I cannot see any reason for this, the files are often jpeg's or text files not in use and with no odd attributes set.

Can you shed any light on error 5 ??

Thanks.

AceBIT Support

Post by AceBIT Support » July 8th, 2005, 3:23 pm

Hello,

You get an error code 5 because Acebackup couldnt access the mentioned files. Maybe the text files are config files for a program running in the background? Normally another program has exclusive rights for these failed files - AceBackup was not allowed to access them.
Are you using the program with admin rights? Are the failed files "your" files, or files from another user?

RoyCoates

Post by RoyCoates » July 8th, 2005, 3:32 pm

The files are mine. I have full admin rights. The files are not part of any running process. A quick look through last nights log shows various jpg and html files which are certainly not in use. I can open these using IE, notepad whatever without any problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

AceBIT Support

Post by AceBIT Support » July 8th, 2005, 3:46 pm

Hello,

Where are those files located? Maybe in the "Temporary Internet Files" directory?

RoyCoates

Post by RoyCoates » July 8th, 2005, 3:48 pm

Nope. The files are in various directories created by me, none of the folders are system created.

AceBIT Support

Post by AceBIT Support » July 8th, 2005, 4:30 pm

Hello,

We talked to our developer team and they said AceBackup is using standard Windowsroutines to copy/backup your files. When the error code 5 appears, there is a process or program which still uses this files. For example : you shouldnt be able to delete/copy these files manually in windows explorer as well. Maybe later when the blocking process/program has released the files, but not in the moment the backup runs and AceBackup returns the code 5.

RoyCoates

Post by RoyCoates » July 8th, 2005, 5:14 pm

Sorry, but I can cut/paste/copy/rename and delete these files using windows explorer (I'm running Windows XP Pro).

This is really quite baffling!

RoyCoates

Post by RoyCoates » July 8th, 2005, 5:42 pm

A quick update... I just wrote a small Delphi program which can happily read the files that Acebackup is failing on.

AceBIT Support

Post by AceBIT Support » July 11th, 2005, 10:54 am

Hello,

That is very strange! Can you please send us an e-mail with your system specifications? (OS, Service Packs, special Software installed, Firewall/Virus Software etc.) The address is support@acebit.com .
We will forward the information to our developer team and see what they can do. Thanks a lot for your patience!