Can't restore project!

This forum is designated to discuss AceBackup. Please note that questions in this forum are not answered by our support team.
greg s

Can't restore project!

Post by greg s » January 8th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Version 2.1.6.0.

Hi there,

I cannot access my backup project. When I open AceBackup and go to menu PROJECT, IMPORT it says 'cannot find the directory'.

The backup worked as I have 82gb on my external hard drive. I can see the backup file using windows explorer but I have no way to restore the information. Please help!

Greg

Support (AceBIT)

Re: Can't restore project!

Post by Support (AceBIT) » January 9th, 2009, 12:07 pm

Hello Greg,

first of all, we would ask you to update your version using the integrated Update Manager so that you are using version 2.2.0.

Are you able to open your project file using the menu File -> Open and then use the button "Restore"?

Best regards

greg s

Post by greg s » January 9th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Christiane,

thank you for your quick reply. I have installed the 2.2.0. version of AceBackup. However I am encountering the same problems.

I want to restore my project which contains around 50gb of information. I have tried to import the project but it keeps saying 'cannot find directory'. What am I supposed to write in the 'Name' field? If I leave it blank it does not allow me to select 'next'. Anything I put in the name box just gets added on to the end of the path address!

I have also tried File -> Open and then use the button "Restore"? First of all a lot of files are invisible when I search for them under "type of file: AceBackup projects (*.nsa, *nsb). When I search for All Files I cannot open the files as it says 'files in an unknown format or damaged'.

In any case I have 8000 + files in the 50gb archive folder. Surely I cannot open each file individually!

I had hoped AceBackUp would provide an easy restore option but this doesn't seem to be the case. How can I simply Import my Project Folder and not just individual files! How can I open nsz files? or nsz.000 files? HELP!

Thanks in advance

Greg

Support (AceBIT)

Post by Support (AceBIT) » January 12th, 2009, 7:05 pm

Hello Greg,

could you please open the backup folder and search the file nsFolder.dat in there. Then please copy the file under a different name with the extension .nsb (for example "restore.nsb") somewhere to your disk.

Then try to open the file "restore.nsb" as a project in AceBackup and select Project -> Verifiy. Does it work now?

Best regards

greg s

Post by greg s » January 17th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Christiane,

thankyou for your help. I found the file nsFolder.dat in my BKUP file. It was sitting next to the Archive folder. I copied it and then renamed it to restore.nsb I then moved it to another place on my hard drive and tried to open it. It then said 'the system cannot find the path specified: code: 3'

I also noticed I had to change the settings when I tried to open the file. It was not visible through "type of files: Ace Back Up projects (*nsa, *nsb)". I had to change the settings to "All files (*,*)

Please help!

Greg

Support (AceBIT)

Post by Support (AceBIT) » January 19th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Hello Greg,

how long is the path for your backup project? Could you maybe try to shorten it a bit?

Best regards

greg s

Post by greg s » January 20th, 2009, 1:33 am

Christiane,

My path isn't that long. It's on the external hard drive in one of the first folders on that hard drive. How can I shorten it??? How will that help me retrieve my data?

Greg

Support (AceBIT)

Post by Support (AceBIT) » January 21st, 2009, 12:14 pm

Hello Greg,

as the target media is on a removable drive, it is possible that now the drive letter is different than it was before. The Import Wizard may help at this point. Please look in Windows Explorer where the file nsFolder.dat is located, for example it is now at G:\dir1\dir2\nsFolder.dat, then in the Import Wizard you will need to enter as name of the backup "dir2" and as path to the media G:\dir1\.

Best regards

greg s

Post by greg s » January 25th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Christiane,

good news. That worked. I split the path into dir1 & dir2 and then the import wizard started to import the project. But now I cannot restore the project?!@

In the Project manager box in the bottom of the screen my 'Local Disk (C)' is found measuring 40gb which is correct. At the right of the screen it says 'Backup item' and below that it says 'No'. Does this mean anything?

I have clicked on 'Local Disk (C)' and tried to restore using restore to original location, restore to new location and smart restore.

Every time I click on these nothing happens.

How can I now restore my imported project? I clicked on verify as well and it said there were no discrepancies!

THanks in advance.

Greg