Max File Generations

This forum is designated to discuss AceBackup. Please note that questions in this forum are not answered by our support team.
gd999

Max File Generations

Post by gd999 » January 16th, 2011, 8:56 pm

I have been testing AceBackup and am happy with how things have been going thus far. However, I do have a concern about file versions. If a file is deleted on the source computer, the copy on the backup medium is still in tact because it does not get deleted. However, if an undesired/unintentional change is made to a particular file and the file is then backed up before the change is discovered, "good" file on the backup media has been overwritten and is no longer available. This poses a problem.

The fix for this is to use the "create a new version" option. In this case, you'll get generations of each file backed up. This is all well and good, but I would like to have a maximum number of generations kept on the backup media, otherwise the size of the backup will continue to increase. Is there a setting somewhere where you can specify the maximum number of generations of each file? If it doesn't exist, it would be a very welcome feature. That way, once the max is reached, the oldest file in the series would be deleted each time a new backup is performed.

Thanks for your assistance!

brianb

Re: Max File Generations

Post by brianb » November 6th, 2012, 11:29 pm

I agree.
I can't find anywhere to tell the software to keep the same file for a maximum period (for instance 7 days).

(I know that I am replying to an old topic, but I need this feature as well)

Filip (AceBit)

Re: Max File Generations

Post by Filip (AceBit) » November 26th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Thank you!

We will consider your idea in the next version of AceBackup.
Best regards,

- Acebit Support -Team -