Password Depot for Android 1.1 is now available!

This forum is designated to discuss the Android edition.
AceBIT
Site Admin

Password Depot for Android 1.1 is now available!

Post by AceBIT » May 26th, 2011, 11:23 pm

Password Depot for Android 1.1 is now available:

Please download it via the Android Market

https://market.android.com/details?id=a ... swordDepot

Feedback or suggestions for improvement can be reported to support@acebit.com.
Beste Grüße aus Darmstadt! - Best regards from Darmstadt!

AceBIT GmbH, Holzhofallee 15, 64295 Darmstadt, Deutschland - Tel.: +49 61 51 136 50-0, Fax: +49 61 51 136 50-20, E-Mail: info@acebit.de, Web: https://www.acebit.de

OneRingRules

Re: Password Depot for Android 1.1 is now available!

Post by OneRingRules » May 29th, 2011, 10:47 am

Thanks for the update to the product. It is a big improvement.

I will only comment on areas for improvement and in no way suggest that this is now not able to be used. It is a terrific effort on what was there previously and a serious application that will deserve a top place in the Android store. Unfortunately developers never hear what is good only what can be improved. That should be interpreted as "long term job security" because software development is never ever finished. I have given it a 4 out of 5 in the Android store. Well done...

Observations:
One:
I think up front you need to say if you are NOT an existing Password depot user then create a new file. IF you are an existing Password Deport user you may want to export your existing file as a portable password file.

Two
When loading (open) an existing .psw file it should tell you that you need to load a .pswx file before you try and key a password.
Error message says (after you have keyed a password) [symbol] Password depot for Android - Could not open file

That is not enough.

Error message should say - Could not open .psx file. You need to create a new .pswx file or export your existing password file and save as a .pswx file. CAUTION saving your .psw file as a .pswx file removes all history and a range of other features (file attachments etc).

How you do this on an Android screen I don't know. But you certainly need something for new users. I suggest you attach a help manual in pdf file as part of the download. (I did download the full pdf and it took a LONG time and it had nothing to do with Android setup)

Three
When the file is open

The extended screen button or options button on the device executes a screen with:
File, Password, tools, search and help

File:opens a directory listing where you can select a file. IF the programme doesn't allow files other than .pswx then why does it display them for loading?

Password:
(a) I think password is the wrong word as password is the password field within the password account or item account ie. The object target might be My FTP Server so you are not opening the password or copying the password to the clipboard you are actually opening a screen which gives you a range of fields within that screen, that allow you to do a heap of things (like modify) in that target object (that you previously highlighted). If you wanted a word that would that better describe the function I would say "modify item" or "modify object" but definitely no not password.

(b) Touching copy password or copy user name sends those items to the clipboard. I think Password and User name should be both main items on the menu and touching them sends them to clip board rather than having to open the above menu and scrolling down to get them and then send them to the clip board.

(c) I would have liked to somewhere get both the user name and password to the clip board with some pre-set configurable commands like "user name", "tab", "password", "enter". Am not suggesting a full on configuration like Depotv5 but a lightweight version. It is time consuming and frustrating when you have to flick between the browser and application.

(d) Open URL - should be shaded out until a password is marked as active

ToolsExcellent especially Analyse passwords and Options is well featured. You might think about adding "execute function commands" (tab, enter etc.) as another item here one day.

Search: Didn't work at all.
I tried searches like "bank" or "credit card". I can't see any point in searching by user name at all. You would be looking for an item like "my FTP server" or The Big Bank" If others are like me I have a lot of passwords and a lot of different user names. You would never look to find a site by user name (would you). I would not at all be interested in user name only the item. You would be interested in and list all the search returns that had say "bank" in the DESCRIPTION field or were in your CATEGORY field. I would think you should search only DESCRIPTION or CATEGORY and within those fields search any string ie B or BA or BAN or BANK. (That is if CATEGORY is a field you do not loose in the .pswx export.)

INTERESTINGLY I found that when the SEARCH screen was open The extended screen button or options button on the device executes a screen with "modify" copy password" copy user name"
What are they doing there? Great they are there when you get a result up that you are looking for and want to load it.

Those three terms need to be in the main screen. SEE point (a) (b) and (c) under Password.

Help: Opens a browser window that goes to user manuals on AceBit site. There is no manual in the list for any mobile platform versions

I think you have probably heard enough but there is just one last thing from me.

When the Password depot lock key is pressed it locks the file. Is it your intention that every time you back out of the application to a menu that you lock the application? You can keep it open by switching screens using the home button.

Hopefully some of the commentary may be useful to your development team.

AceBIT
Site Admin

Re: Password Depot for Android 1.1 is now available!

Post by AceBIT » May 31st, 2011, 6:05 pm

Dear OneRingRules,

Thank you for your feedback! We can promise that we will implement many of your suggestions in the next build, which is expected for July 2011.
Beste Grüße aus Darmstadt! - Best regards from Darmstadt!

AceBIT GmbH, Holzhofallee 15, 64295 Darmstadt, Deutschland - Tel.: +49 61 51 136 50-0, Fax: +49 61 51 136 50-20, E-Mail: info@acebit.de, Web: https://www.acebit.de